Copco Reservoir Level Cycling
Starting on Wednesday, September 13, community members and visitors to Copco Reservoir can expect fluctuating reservoir levels affecting boating access and activities. This change in reservoir level is to allow crews to safely work in the reach between Copco No. 1 Dam and Iron Gate Reservoir, while they prepare Copco No. 1 Dam and the river canyon for drawdown. Flows will be held behind Copco No. 1 Dam while crews are in the canyon, and then released when they are working elsewhere. This will create a cycle of raising and lowering water levels in Copco and Iron Gate Reservoirs in the coming months. The water level will remain within the standard operating levels during these cycles. Water level changes will be gradual so community members should not expect drastic changes in 24-hour periods. However, the periods of lower reservoir levels may affect docked boats or boats placed near shore.
You can find a calendar of the anticipated Copco Reservoir level cycles below. Conditions such as wildfire and smoke could alter the reservoir level cycling calendar in the future, so please check our website to find the most current schedule before making any plans. If you have any questions, please reach out to Ren Brownell, KRRC Public Information Officer, at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 670-0016.
Recreation Site Closures
- October 30, 2023: Permanent Closure of Mallard Cove – The Mallard Cove recreation site on Copco Reservoir will be permanently closed on October 30, 2023. No camping, day use, or boat access will be permitted following the closure.
- September 8, 2023: Permanent Closure of Pioneer Park East and Pioneer Park West – The Pioneer Park East and Pioneer Park West recreation sites at J.C. Boyle Reservoir will be permanently closed on September 8, 2023. No camping, day use, or boat access will be permitted following the closure.
- May 12, 2023: Early Closures of Recreation Sites along Copco Road – Due to public safety concerns, the Klamath River Renewal Corporation (KRRC) will be accelerating the closure schedule for certain recreation sites.
The following recreation sites at Copco Reservoir will be closed on May 12, 2023: Copco Cove.
The following recreation sites at Iron Gate Reservoir will be closed on May 12, 2023: Fall Creek, Jenny Creek, Wanaka Springs, Camp Creek, Juniper Point, Overlook Point, Mirror Point, and Long Gulch.
If you need a copy of a notice in Spanish or Hmong, please contact us directly with your name and we will provide a translation: email@example.com
Si necesita una copia de un aviso en español o hmong, contáctenos directamente con su nombre y le proporcionaremos una traducción: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yog tias koj xav tau ib daim ntawv ceeb toom ua lus Mev lossis lus Hmoob, thov hu rau peb ncaj qha nrog koj lub npe thiab peb yuav muab kev txhais lus: email@example.com
Archived Public Notices
- March 19 & 20, 2018: KRRC Informational Meetings – KRRC is hosting informational meetings on the Klamath River Renewal Project, which involves the removal of four hydroelectric dams—JC Boyle, Copco 1 & 2, and Iron Gate— and the restoration of formerly inundated lands. An introductory presentation will be followed by a question and answer session.
- November 7, 8, & 9 2017: KRRC Open Houses – KRRC is hosting a series of three informational Open House meetings on the Klamath River Renewal Project, which involves the removal of four hydroelectric dams—JC Boyle, Copco 1 & 2, and Iron Gate—and the restoration of formerly inundated lands.